Should you feel cause to file a complaint against a lender, there are resources for doing so. Since the regulatory bodies vary by state, each state has its own process and procedure for making said complaint. Some states require that you try to resolve the issue before making an official complaint, others merely request that you do so.

Please consult your state’s guidelines before proceeding. Also, keep original documents – only mail copies.

Should you want to make a complaint to Personal Money Network, you may contact us here. Should you wish to file a complaint with the authorities in your home state, the appropriate contacts are listed below.

Complaint letter templates are available from the website. If you desire to register on the national Do Not Call Registry, you may do so here. For more information on payday loans and other financial products available from lenders through Personal Money Network, you can read our free consumer lending e-book and our payday lending statistics and industry overview report.

You may also be interested to read about what is a payday loan, payday loans (FTC), and payday lending state statues.

State Resources

Resources and contacts for making a complaint against lenders in your state are listed below.


A complaint form can be downloaded. Mail the form to the following address:

Alabama Banking Department
P.O. Box 4600
Montgomery AL 36103


(334) 242-3452


(334) 353-5961

Regulatory Contact:

Arlene Baldwin, Consumer Services Specialist, Bureau of Loans


The complaint form is located here from the State Chartered Financial Institutions site. Mail to the following address:

Alaska Division of Banking and Securities
P.O. Box 110807
Juneau AK 99811


(888) 925-2521


(907) 465-2549

Regulatory Contact:

Patrice Walsh, Financial Institution Examiner


Arizona Department of Financial Institutions, Financial Enterprises Division
2910 N. 44th Street, Suite 310
Phoenix AZ 85018


(800) 544-0708


(602) 381-1225

Regulatory Contact:

Robert Charlton, Assistant


Arkansas State Board of Collection Agencies
Division of Check-Cashing Companies, 523 Louisiana Street, Suite 460
Little Rock AR 72201


(501) 371-1434


(501) 371-1440

Regulatory Contact:

Peggy Matson, Executive Director


California residents can make complaints in writing to:

California Department of Corporations, Financial Services Division
1515 K Street, Suite 200
Sacramento CA 95814


(866) 275-2677


Colorado Office of the Attorney General, Uniform Consumer Credit Code
1525 Sherman St., 5th Fl.
Denver CO 80203


(303) 866-4494


(303) 866-5691

Regulatory Contact:

Laura Udis, Administrator


Complete the complaint form. It should be mailed to:

Connecticut Department of Banking
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford CT 06103


(860) 240-8299


(860) 240-8167

Regulatory Contact:

Alan Cicchetti Deputy Commissioner


Before you can make a formal complaint, you must speak with a representative of the state. To do so, call (302) 739-4235. The representatives will determine if you have a legitimate claim. If they deem that you do, they will direct you to transmit the complaint in writing by mail or fax. The mailing address will be provided by those representatives.




(302) 729-2356

District of Columbia

To make a complaint in the District of Columbia, obtain a sample complaint form from the website. The link is located at the top of this page. Complaints for residents in Washington, D.C. are made to the Federal Trade Commission, through The site will guide you through making your complaint.


All complaints must be filed through the complainant’s county of residence. Guidelines vary by county and complaints by mail or fax are not accepted by every county. Please contact the appropriate authority for further instructions.


Georgia residents must first contact their county district attorney’s office. Contact information for those offices can be found on the website for the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council of Georgia. Then, notify the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, Industrial Loan Division.



The Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website has a complaint form and wizard to assist you in completing it. The form can be faxed or mailed to the following address:

Georgia Insurance Commissioner’s Office Consumer services Division 2
M.L.K. Jr. Drive West Tower, suite 716
Atlanta, GA 30334


(404) 657-8542.

Hawaii gives choices in filing a complaint.

1) Contact the party you have the complaint against and attempt a resolution. If such efforts are unsuccessful, a complaint form is available at:

2) Complaints can be made to the Consumer Resource Center or the Office of Consumer Protection. The Consumer Resource Center can be contacted by calling 808-586-2653 or in writing at the following address:

235 South Beretania Street, 9th Floor
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

The Office of Consumer Protection is a division of the Regulated Industries Complaints Office, part of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. They are located in the following areas:

Hilo office
345 Kekuanaoa Street, Suite 12
Hilo, Hawaii 96720

Wailuku office
1063 Lower Main Street, Suite C-216
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793

Honolulu office (main location)
Leiopapa A Kamehameha Building
235 South Beretania Street, Suite 801
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813


A consumer affairs response program is available in Idaho, which is part of the Idaho Department of Finance. Mail can be sent to the following location:

800 Park Blvd. Suite 200
Boise, Idaho 83712


(208) 332-8000, or if in Idaho, call toll free (888) 346-3378


A complaint form is available in PDF format from the Attorney General’s office.

If the forms are completed in English, mail to:
Office of the Illinois Attorney General Consumer Protection Bureau
500 South Second Street
Springfield, IL 62706

If completed in Spanish, then mail to:
Office of the Illinois Attorney General Consumer Protection Division
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601


If in Chicago, call (800) 386-5438
TTY: (800) 964-3013

If in Springfield, call (800) 243-0618
TTY: 877-844-5461

In Carbondale, call (800) 243-0607
TTY: 877-675-9339

Spanish Language Hotline: 1-866-310-8398


An attempt should be made to resolve the issue with the other party first. However, if that doesn’t work, contact the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions. You may need to mail a complaint form. Send it to:

Indiana Department of Financial Institutions
30 South Meridian St., Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204


(317) 232-3955 or call toll-free, (800) 382-4880


For complaints in Iowa, it is recommended to contacting the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division. Mail to:

Iowa Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
1305 E. Walnut Street
Des Moines, IA 50319




The Attorney General’s office provides forms online. Mail the completed form to:

Memorial Hall, 2nd Floor
120 SW 10th Street
Topeka, KS 66612


(785) 296-3751, or call toll-free (800) 432-2310


(785) 291-3699


The Kentucky Department of Financial Institutions is the regulating body in that state. Search for the entity you wish to file a complaint against at: If the lender in question is under DFI jurisdiction, a complaint form is on the website. Fill it out and mail it to:

Department of Financial Institutions
1025 Capital Center Drive
Suite 200
Frankfort, KY 40601


(502) 573-3390, or call toll-free, (800) 223-2579




Complaints can be made to, though complaints in writing are preferred. Mail a complaint to the following address:

Office of Financial Institutions
Post Office Box 94095
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9095


(225) 925-4660 or (888) 525-9414


Visit the website of the Bureau of Financial Institutions. Complaints can be made via Secure e-mail, phone, fax or mail. The complaint form is available as a PDF or MS Word document. To mail, send to:

Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions
Consumer Outreach Program
36 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0036


(800) 965-5235 or (207) 624-8570


(207) 624-8590


Write to the Commissioner of Financial Regulation of Maryland. Remit to:

Commissioner of Financial Regulation
Attention: Complaint Unit
500 North Calvert Street, Suite 402
Baltimore, Maryland 21202


(410) 230-6100


Complaints for any business licensed by the Division of Banks are handled by the Massachusetts Consumer Affairs Division of Banks. To make a complaint, the MCADB must have a completed and signed copy of the complaint form – available on the above website – transmitted to them. Mail to the following address:

Consumer Assistance Office
Massachusetts Division of Banks
1000 Washington Street, 10th floor
Boston, MA 02118-2218


The complaint form (PDF) is available here, and it should be remitted to:

Office of Financial and Insurance Services
P.O. Box 30020
Lansing, MI 48909




State of Minnesota Department of Commerce Division of Financial Institutions
85 7th Place East, Suite 500
St. Paul, Minnesota 55101-2198


(651) 296-2135


Consumer Protection Division Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 22947
Jackson, Mississippi 39225-2947


(601) 359-4230 or (800) 281-4418


There is an official complaint form that must be completed.
It can be faxed or mailed to the following:

Missouri Division of Finance
P.O. Box 716
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0716


(573) 751-3242


(573) 751-9192


First, try to resolve the complaint with the lender directly. Should that prove fruitless, an official complain may be submitted by fax or by mail to the following address:

State of Montana Department of Administration Division of Banking and Financial Institutions
301 South Park, Suite 316 P.O. Box 200546
Helena, MT 59620-0546


(406) 841-2920.


(406) 841-2930


A form is available through the Nebraska Department of Banking and Finance website. Once completed, mail to:

Nebraska Department of Banking and Finance, Financial Institutions — Complaints
P.O. Box 95006
Lincoln NE 68509-5006


(402) 471-2171


Complete out the official complaint form. More information can be found at However, once the form is completed, mail to:

Office of the Commissioner
2785 E. Desert Inn Rd. Suite 180
Las Vegas, NV 89121


(702) 486-4120


(702) 486-4563

New Hampshire

Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau
33 Capitol St,
Concord NH 03301.


(603) 271-3641


(603) 223-6202

New Jersey

Download an official complaint form (PDF) and then mail to:

124 Halsey Street
Newark, New Jersey 07102


(973) 504-6200 or (800) 242-5846

New Mexico

In Santa Fe:
408 Galisteo Street
Villagra Building
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
P.O. Drawer 1508
Santa Fe NM 87504-1508.

In Albuquerque:
111 Lomas NW, Ste 300
Albuquerque, NM 87102.

In Las Cruces:
201 N. Church St., Ste. 315
Las Cruces, NM 88001.


1 (800) 678-1508.

New York

Forms and addresses can be found at The Bureau of Consumer Frauds and Protection has 13 regional offices, so check the website to find the nearest office. Each has its own specific form to submit, so be sure to get the correct one by finding the closest office through the website.


(800) 771-7755

North Carolina

Call, toll free, (877) 5-NO-SCAM if in North Carolina. If not, call (919) 716-6000. The official complaint form can be filed electronically or mailed to the North Carolina Department of Justice. Mail to the following address:

State of North Carolina Department of Justice
9001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001


(919) 716-6400

North Dakota

Consumer Protection Division Office of Attorney General
Gateway Professional Center
1050 E Interstate Ave Suite 200
Bismarck, ND 58503-5574


(701) 328-9933


Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine
30 E. Broad St., 17th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215


Toll-free (800) 282-0515 or (614) 466-4986
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.


A debtor that’s aggrieved or member of the public can make a complaint about a business, licensed or otherwise, that has violated any part of the Oklahoma Deferred Deposit Lending Act. The Act is available on Oklahoma Department of Consumer Credit website. Complaints can be made in writing to:

Oklahoma Department of Consumer Credit
4545 North Lincoln Boulevard, Suite 164
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105-3403


(405) 521-3653 or the in-state hotline, (800) 448-4904


(405) 521-6740


To file a complaint in Oregon, complete the online form at the Division of Finance and Corporate Securities website. Don’t submit any documentation, the form is all that is required. Alternately, the form may be faxed or mailed to the following address:

Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities
PO Box 14480
Salem, OR 97309-0405


(503) 947-7862


The state of Pennsylvania recommends resolving lending complaints by first contacting an attorney, a directory of which can be found at the following website:, and attempt a resolution with the lender. Attorneys who practice fair lending law in Pennsylvania can be found here:

However, if you have contacted an attorney and have not found a resolution, you may fill out the official complaint form and submit to the Pennsylvania Department of Banking. Send mail to:

Pennsylvania Department of Banking
Consumer Services
17 N Second Street, Suite 1300
Harrisburg, PA 17101-2290


(717) 787-1854


(717) 787-8773

Rhode Island

An official complaint form can be found here. Submit to the Department of Business Regulation by mailing it to:

State of Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation
Division of Banking
1511 Pontiac Avenue, Bldg 69-2
Cranston, RI 02920


Department of Business Regulation: (401) 462-9500
Division of Banking: (401) 462-9503

South Carolina

The state of South Carolina makes the complaint form available for online submission or as a downloadable PDF complaint form for printing and manual submission. South Carolina’s site also has instructions you must follow for filling out the form and filing a complaint. Forms can be mailed to:

South Carolina State Board of Financial Institutions
Consumer Finance Division
P.O. Box 11905
Columbia SC 29211

Phone: (803) 734-2020
Fax: (803) 734-2025

South Dakota

For an investigation into the complaint to be initiated, a form must be submitted to the South Dakota Department of Labor’s Division of Banking. The written form must be faxed or mailed to the following address:

South Dakota Division of Banking
217 1/2 West Missouri Avenue
Pierre SD 57501


(605) 773-3421


(605) 773-5367


Complaints in Tennessee are filed, faxed or mailed to this address:

Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions
Consumer Resources Division
414 Union Street, Suite 1000
Nashville, Tennessee 37219


1 (800) 778-4215


(615) 253-7794


Complaints in Texas are submitted to the Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner. To file a complaint, submit a complaint form along with supporting documentation by fax, or by mailing to:

Texas Office of Consumer Credit
2601 N. Lamar Blvd.
Austin TX 78705


(512) 936-7600


(512) 936-7610


To file a complaint with the Utah Department of Financial Institutions, the regulating body in that state, first complete the official complaint form. The form can be emailed to the Supervisor of Consumer Credit and Compliance. The form can also be faxed or mailed to the following:

Utah Department of Financial Institutions
P.O. Box 146800
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6800


(801) 538-8830


(801) 538-8894


Not all financial institutions in the state of Vermont are regulated. Complaints, however, can be submitted to the Department of Banking by filling out the complaint form, downloadable in PDF format. Bear in mind, since not every lender is regulated, a complaint may have to be lodged in the state where the lender is headquartered and registered. To submit the form, mail to:

State of Vermont
Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities & Health Care Administration (BISHCA)
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620 – 3101


(802) 828-3301


The Bureau of Financial Institutions, in the State Corporation Commission, is the regulating body in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Submit a complaint form along with any supporting documents to them. Forms can be faxed or mailed to:

Virginia Bureau of Financial Institutions
1300 East Main Street, Suite 800
Post Office Box 640
Richmond, VA 23218-0640


(804) 371-9657


(804) 371-9416


Direct complaints to the Department of Financial Service’s Consumer Services division. The complaint form can be filed online, faxed, called in over the phone to the state hotline, or mailed. Mailed forms should be sent to:

Department of Financial Services
PO Box 41200
Olympia WA 98504-1200


1 (877) RING DFI (746-4334)


(360) 586-5068

West Virginia

To file a complaint in West Virginia, get an official complaint form and submit to the West Virginia Division of Banking. Complaints must be submitted in writing, by faxing or mailing to:

West Virginia Division of Banking
One Players Club Drive Suite 300
Charleston, WV 25311-1638


(304) 558-2294


(304) 558-0442


Submit complaints to the Department of Financial Institutions. File online or download a PDF complaint form and submit to the WDFI.

Complaints should be directed to the Department of Financial Institutions. The complaint can be filed online with the WDFI or filled out on paper (PDF) and mailed to the WDFI. Mail the form to this address

Department of Financial Institutions
345 W Washington Avenue
Madison, WI 53703


(608) 261-9555


(608) 266-8818 For hearing-impaired callers.


(608) 261-7200


Mail a written complaint form to the Wyoming Division of Banking, to the following address:

Wyoming Division of Banking Uniform Consumer Credit Code
Herschler Building, 3 East 122 West 25th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002


(307) 777-7797